So last night's meal doesn't count because I was too tire to look for good ramen, or even ramen! So I went to a mall and almost had mos burger, katsu-don, and some other stuff, which would be perfectly fine. But I end up grabbing small bites of "street" food! They are not what I had on mind, but I figured it would be a good way to end my street food spree! The shrimp and squid katsu were ok. It go cold because I sat outdoor. Bad
Idea!!! The chicken liver yakitori was also ok and so was the fatty pork yakitori. But what strike the tummy was takoyaki which I don't usually like or even order. But hell people in US simply put too much sauce on it! Cos the one I had last night was just right!!!! I could taste everything!!!! It was the best takoyaki I had! Also I think it was the only thing warm for the "dinner" and the lady spoke English!
Speaking of that, it's been a super while since I traveled to a place where I don't speak the language and had no translator. Last night was also the first night since I traveled without a local tour guide (usually a friend). I was pretty scare at first. Well not scare, but concern. But heck I'm having a blast not able to speak the language and pretend to know what the person was talking about when I asked for direction. Somehow this trip is a kick in the ass that I have been in comfort zone in all levels! I need to get out and roam around more often!
As promised to self: I will eat ramen every meal until Von arrives! So today marks the start! I woke up late on purpose to rest up after a long week in Macau/HK, so lunch time started early or actually later. I wanted to check out the flea market. But the big one at Meiji shrine was not open and only the Hanazonojinja shine had a flea market, which was very disappointing. It was rarely a flea market when there were only 3 vendors! Nevertheless, the shrine was pretty. It is situated between all these tall buildings in Shinjuku.
After being "disappointed" my stomach wanted to kill me! So I basically walked around and try to find a ramen shop or even a place to eat. So came across this hole in a wall, at the corner across from all these high end department store. My first encounter of ordering machine! So glad I can read a bit katagana and of course Chinese characters, I don't know how other foreigners do it! But also thank goodness for all the display models! The ramen was ok... I think setagaya in First Ave is better. So I was again disappointed, bu I had to eat or I'll be done for the rest of the day.
Walked all over Shinjuku and then got too tire and went to a desssert place! Instant charge! Planned out for the rest of the day. Hung out at a 8 levels bookstore for 2 hours, then walled around some more. Then head to a ramen place recommended by Lonely Planet. It was weird cos the place was practically empty, but the book said it's nationally best and often have long lines. My thought? Either it got too famous but couldn't deliver the great expectation. But I went in anyway and eat just to see how "bad" it would be. I slurped the hell out! The soup was so damn good!!!!! Oishi!!!! The pork was so thinly sliced I was in heaven! The broth was thick and tasty! It left a lasting impression on my buds (taste buds)! I am now vow to find another one to beat this!

Quick dinner

The cute little "bus" that sells the takoyaki

The corner hole in the wall

First encounter: ordering machine

Fake ramen! But I did order this one

Mapping out the day

Instant charge!

KabukichÅ

Heavnly thick pork broth

It's serious business!
No comments:
Post a Comment