20100226

WHY AM I DOING THE CENTURY RIDE FOR TNT




If I say no particular reason, you may think I'm lying, but in reality that is the truth. While majority of the participants in the Team in Training program have had lost or have their love ones diagnosed to the disease, I am fortunate enough not to know one personally. Then why the heck did I choose this organization? If I tell you have somehow have a strong feeling toward the organization, would that make any sense?

Call me silly but here it goes. I first heard of this organization back in community college days (College of San Mateo days if you know me all these time). I know nothing about it and didn't really look into it either, but somehow the name stuck to my mind. Couple of years later, two of my friends from Brooks did a marathon for them. I am reconnected with the organization, yet, I never looked into it. I simply know there is this program call Team in Training and trains you to do all these sports event. As active as I am in sports, doing a marathon, triathlete, cycling have never crossed my mind! I'll just stick with badminton.

Then came last year, I started cycling, mainly because I was fed up with the bus that takes me to work. It's always late! So I bought a bike and started riding it to work. First was the 3 miles to and from the subway station, then I started riding back home all the way from Williamsburg Brooklyn to Flushing Queens. Then on with weekends riding out with Von and Orange. Then one day I signed up for Tour de Brooklyn 32 miles, then another with NYC Century for 35 miles. At the end of the summer, I was madly in love cycling! I purchased 3 bikes within 4 months! (Rudy was sold to Orange and Zippie was just too big, so I had to return it. Denim is latest and hopefully last for now =p) Von at one point felt that I was cheating on her =)

Then winter came around, Denim is sitting in the apartment and I'm dying to take him out! One evening while sleepless and surfing the web on Facebook (note: advertisement on Facebook does work!) on the side there was an ad for TNT. I clicked into and found out there are all these events you can join to fund raise for the organization. I went ahead and look for cycling and bam! Century ride! Meeting this coming Tuesday! So then I thought to myself, well if I'm going to do all these bicycle rides again this summer, why not do it for a cause? So I filled out the form and put myself on the list, and went to the meeting! Next thing I know I got myself involve in this organization!

During the various meetings and discussions with coordinators, I found out more about the organization and what they do. When they said back in 1949 the survival rate of leukemia was 8% and now it's 85% because of various research, that really hit it home! The funding for these research not only does it benefits blood cancers, but also to other forms of cancer. Apparently chemotherapy was first used on lymphoma patients and then later was researched to use on other forms of cancer.

So that being said, I really think that what I am doing and training for it's a fantastic cause! What do I get out of it? A whole lot! More money in the karma piggie bank, friends that I don't get to meet in my circle of friends, a great training program, getting to know more about myself by pushing the limit in both physical and socially! Really, you have no idea how much I have pushed myself to be more active and pursue people to donate! Coming up with creative fundraising ideas and execute these ideas! I definitely get more than I put in for!

No comments: